Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”).
If you need to obtain a work permit, please review the information below:
- Work permits are processed every Wednesday and Friday. If they are not completed by Wednesday, you will need to wait until Friday to pick them up. This may change due to the number of applications that are pending. If you are asked to come back on a different day or the following week, it just means that more time is needed to process it.
- Picking up permits is available after school only. Do not come in before school or during passing period.
- A 2.0 GPA is required to be eligible for a work permit. Quarter grades are used to determine your eligibility, not cumulative GPA. The most recent quarter grades will be used to determine the student's GPA.
- You do not need to complete a whole new application if you are still working at the same location. If you need to renew your permit, you will need to fill out a renewal form that is available in the Counseling Office.
- There are applications available to all students in the Counseling Office. Use this form or the one that is found below. These are the only forms you should be giving your employer. I know some employers might have their own copies but the one that is provided by BHS is the one required to be completed.
- Please make sure you complete both sides of the application with your parents and your employer. If any portion of the application is incomplete, then I will return the application to you. This will cause a delay in processing the permit so I have highlighted the areas on the form that I have noticed are typically left blank.
- Work permits can still be processed over the summer and we will share additional details as we get closer to summer break.
Please use this information for future reference. If for any reason you need clarification or have a question you can email Yolanda Diaz, Counseling Technician, at [email protected]
Thank you all and have a great day!
Last updated: 03/20/2023